Pages

Wednesday 18 April 2018

Measure Once, Knit Twice


Has this happened to you?  The front and back of a sweater, or the two sleeves are different lengths? Or, proud to have finally completed that pair of socks only to discover that one is longer than the other.  Sure it has, come on, admit it.

It has happened to all of us at one time or another.  Why? Probably because we measured once, and now we get to knit twice.  Otherwise, find someone that has one arm longer than the other and give the sweater to them. 


We need to measure many things in knitting, not just the length.  For example, we measure our bodies, the size of our needles, and the gauge of our knitted fabric.  Notice I said “knitted fabric” instead of swatch.  I must admit, sometimes I am so excited to start a new project that I start knitting, then do the gauge measurement.   When it’s off, I cuss a little, rip it out, change my needle size, and swatch like I should have done in the first place.  Perfect example of measure once, knit twice.

Recently, I discovered yet another metal gauge ruler in my many tool bins, and thought to myself, “I wonder how many I have”?  So I collected my knitting measuring devices together and realized that I have a bit of a tool stash. 




Interesting point about the 4mm needle sizing, gauges typically say either 4mm or 4 1/4mm, but the white plastic one that I have, has both sizes.  The purple KnitPicks ruler has a magnifier, which is very helpful when trying to count stitches for gauge, while the Susan Bates metal ruler has a 2”x2” gauge cut out. 

With all these rulers at my disposal, I tend to carry one of the metal 6” gauge rulers, and my 36” Four-Fold Rule in my knitting bag.  That is the politically correct term for what used to be called a Blindman’s Rule; named for the large numbers which make is easier to read.  I must say, I do like the large numbers.  It also requires that you have your work on a flat surface to measure; always a good practice.  I only use the measuring tape when measuring body parts or around corners.  I highly recommend getting a buddy to do the body measurement; it’s a lot more accurate than you can do on yourself.  You can do the corner by yourself, sometimes.    

 
When the work is longer than 36”, like an afghan or warping the Knitters Loom, I pull out the big gun.  Yup, the 16’ retractable measuring tape.






I was recently introduced to another tool for measuring gauge … The Swatch Ruler.  It sticks to the fabric so you can easily count your stitches and rows.  If it only had a magnifier, I would be all over it and add it to the collection.


One perplexing measurement that I find when knitting, is the button band.  Patterns often state, “knit until slightly stretched, measures the front”.  I have yet to figure out how much stretch is considered slightly.  This, I do not measure.  Instead, I count rows.  Better yet, knit the band with the front pieces.  That way, there is no guessing or counting.  I also count rows for my socks, sleeves, fronts to backs, etc.  Whenever two pieces are supposed to be the same length, I count rows.  That sounds a bit anal retentive, but it works.  Now, if I could only remember to write down the count from the first item before starting the second.  That way, when my husband starts talking about the temperature or expected snowfall, I will have a reference point and not have to start over.

The term “Measure Twice, Cut Once” is generally associated with the carpentry trade, but in a figurative sense, it also applies to knitting. An excerpt from the Historically Speaking website states that the term can also be meant as a warning to plan and prepare for something in a careful, thorough manner before taking action.  So let’s make this our knitting mantra, Measure Twice, Knit Once!

If you diligently measure twice and still find that one sleeve is longer than the other, then you have no one else to blame.  It must have been the wine.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments are welcome.